The Official Website of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS)

Public Safety

Home Improvement Contractor / Construction Supervisor License

     All construction and renovation of detached one and two family homes are regulated by the Board of Building Regulations and Standards (“BBRS”).  Such work is governed by the Building Code which is administered by the BBRS.  Prior to performing work on such homes, a contractor must be registered as a Home Improvement Contractor (“HIC”) and/or licensed as a Construction Supervisor (“CSL”) depending upon the type of work that is being done.  Please click on the link below for a grid outlining the projects requiring either a HIC or CSL.

        A complaint may be filed with the BBRS against any HIC or CSL holder or local building official.  The complaint applications are available by clicking on the link below.  To appeal the decision of a local building official relating to an appropriately filed application for building permit you must complete the application that is available on the link below.  All applications and forms are available on the link below as well.  Prior to contacting the Department with any questions, please review the FAQ (“Frequently Asked Questions”) link below for further information. All applications, inquiries or suggestions should be mailed to:

Board of Building Regulations and Standards
One Ashburton Place, Room 1301
Boston, Ma 02108

     Thank you for visiting the Board of Building Regulations and Standards website.